- Didn’t have to do S-Turns or Turns-About-A-Point
- Lasted 1.3 hours and was actually easier than Laura’s prep checkrides (which is a good thing)
- We did do an emergency descent. If we did practice one it has been a long time. I know there is a check list but he wasn’t interested in me even using it. JUST DESCEND! GET ON THE GROUND!
- We did most, if not all, the exercises at about 3,200 ft.
- My first cross country check point was at Burlington and we never even went that far before diverting towards Sheridan. He was happy with a general direction towards Sheridan.
- He did ask lots of questions particularly when in the pattern.
- He did his own partial preflight and checked the fuel levels and paid very close attention to the tires.
- Emergency landing was not carried out nearly as far as Laura had us doing. He pulled the power and I went through part of the checklist and then we moved on to other things.
- He was big on raising a wing (to check for traffic) before making a turn in that direction.
- Pulled out pics of airport signs and had to ID them
- Spent very little time reviewing actual cross country planning. Other than some general safety related questions.
- Airspace Classes, MOA/Restricted/Prohibited, Ceilings, & Visibility were the main questions regarding the sectional charts.
- He always wanted a guess even when I told him “I don’t know”.
- I felt like weather was my weakness going in and he mentioned a couple of weather related questions that I missed when we debriefed.
- Know your minimum runway length needed to take off and land. I had the charts with me so I was ok. He would have been happier if I just knew them and didn’t have to look them up.
- Know the light-gun signals. He will ask when you’re flying the pattern and busy with something else.
- Wanted to know IFR, MVFR, VFR minimums. I only knew because he asked me about them when I scheduled the checkride.
- Review any questions you missed on your written test. He will review them at the end. We had already discussed most of them so I only had to answer 2 -3 additional questions.