INSTRUMENT RATING STUDY GUIDE
- List flight experience requirements for an instrument rating.
2. List requirements to maintain IFR currency.
3. Differentiate between the terms IFR and IMC.
4. List required equipment for flight under VFR and IFR.
5. How often must the altimeter and static system be checked?
6. What is the static system checked for?
7. How often must the transponder and static system be checked at the same time?
8. What is the maximum altimeter error allowed?
9. What is the maximum compass error allowed?
10. Explain ELT battery replacement requirements.
11. How and when can you test an ELT?
12. Where is mode C required? What type altitude does it report?
13. Where is DME required?
14. How often must the VOR receiver be checked?
15. List 5 ways to check the VOR receiver and acceptable tolerance.
16. Describe the VOT – can a VOT test be done in the air?
17. Explain compass errors.
18. List oxygen requirements for part 91.
19. What does a rotating beacon during daylight usually indicate?
20. List takeoff minimums for IFR (part 91 & 135)
21. What weather condition determines landing limits?
22. Is visibility listed in statute or nautical miles?
23. What is a clearance, when do you need it and where do you get it?
24. May a pilot refuse a clearance?
25. May a pilot deviate from a clearance?
26. What is a void time clearance?
27. What is a clearance limit?
28. When and how do you file an IFR flight plan?
29. How do you cancel and IFR flight plan?
30. List 13 mandatory reports to ATC?
31. Describe the standard holding pattern. (include timing and wind correction)
32. Describe standard holding pattern entry procedures.
33. What is a non standard holding pattern?
34. What is the maximum airspeed for holding? (prop)
35. Describe the 4 segments of an instrument approach.
36. What is the significance of the terms VOR A, VOR B, ect.?
37. How must a procedure turn be flown when indicated by arrows on an approach plate?
38. What is meant by NOPT?
39. List 5 instances when a PT would not be authorized.
40. What is the difference between a precision and a nonprecsion approach?
41. What determines whether an approach is published as circling or straight in?
42. Compare the operation and sensitivity of the VOR receiver in the following modes:
ILS RNAV APP
VOR RNAV ENR
- What are the components of the ILS? Are marker beacons required?
- What are the lowest ILS minimums for Cat 1?
- Describe the indications and identification for the:
- BC marker beacon
- Fan marker beacon
- Where is the glideslope transmitter located?
- What is a typical glideslope projection angle and width?
- When might one encounter a false glideslope?
- Where is the localizer transmitter located?
- Compare back course sensing on an HSI versus a normal VOR receiver.
- Define the following:
- When may a pilot descend below the DH or MDA?
- When must the MAP be executed?
- Explain aircraft approach categories listed with the minimums on an approach plate.
- What are inoperative components tables and how are they used?
- What is a step down fix?
- What is a visual descent point and when can you go below it?
- What is a visual approach?
- What is a contact approach?
- What is a timed approach?
- What are parallel approaches?
- What are simultaneous approaches?
- What is a side step approach?
- What is a LDA?
- What is an SDF?
- List fuel requirements under IFR.
- When is an alternate destination required?
- Explain standard alternate minimums.
- May you list an airport without an instrument approach procedure as an alternate?
- Explain lost communication procedures. (include transponder procedures)
- Does IFR traffic in VFR conditions have priority?
- What rate of climb or descent should be used for making altitude changes?
- What are the dimensions of a federal airway?
- Define the following:
- How do you determine the MEA for direct flights?
- Must anticollision lights be on at night under IFR?
- What is VFR on top?
- What is VFR over the top?
- What is a cruise clearance?
- What are notams and where are they found?
- How do you determine a navaid is out of service?
- What separation is given for IFR traffic by ATC?
- Is it ever possible to fly in IMC without being on clearance?
- How does a pilot check weather in flight?
- What is AWOS? HIWAS?
- List 5 reasons for a NAV flag on the HSI?
- List 4 reasons for a HDG flag on the HSI?
- What is the flux gate and where is it?
- How can you tell if the fluxgate is bad on the HSI and what do you do about it?
- What is the life of the aux vacuum pump and list any potential problems with using it.
- What instrument/instruments are powered by the aux vacuum?
- Which instruments are affected by alt static and how?
- Define IFR and LIFR.
- May you begin an instrument approach under part 91 if the visibility is less than required on the approach plate?
- List some comparative values for visibility in SM & RVR.
- Do you need special equipment to fly MLS or GPS?
- Explain the regulation in regard to inoperative equipment.
- Explain the difference between a turn indicator and a turn coordinator.
- KNOW ALL ENROUTE AND APPROACH CHART SYMBOLS.